Phu Tho Sub – department of Forestry and Forest Science Institute of Vietnam
ECONOMIES DIRECTLY BENEFITED
27 months, September 2010 to December 2012
To maximize contribution of forests on hunger elimination, poverty alleviation, environmental services and livelihood improvement.
1. Increasing and diversifying forest products through planting non timber forest product species in the forest;
2. Increasing long term economic values of natural forests through timber composition improvement;
3. Enhancing local capacity on production of market - oriented forest products;
4. Enhancing ecological services including carbon sequestration, catchment and soil protection, biodiversity conservation by minimizing forest degradation and sustainable forest management;
5. Strengthening personal capacity to local institutions, farmers’ understanding in forest restoration and management, and NTFP processing.
Output 1: 50 ha of pilot models of planting NTFP species in forests and 500 clumps of bamboo species are planted around stand borders and hill foots will be established. Income of local farmers from harvesting forest product is increased;
Output 2: 50 ha of pilot models of forest restoration by improvement thinning and enrichment planting by high value timber species will be established;
Output 3: Technical handbooks, leaflets on restoration silviculture techniques, growing techniques of NTFP and high value timber species, forest protection and NTFP processing etc. will be developed and distributed to project areas and nearby regions. Village regulations on forest protection and forest product benefit sharing will be developed; Village forestry development fund will be established;
Output 4: Training courses and study tours on restoration silviculture techniques, growing techniques of NTFP and high value timber species, forest protection and NTFP processing will be conducted for project’s villagers and nearby communities with good quality.
Forest status inventory.
Training courses/ study tours on successful models of planting NTFP species.
Model design for non-timber forest species planting.
Collections of qualified seeds/ seedlings of NTFP species for establishing models.
Establishing pilot models including planting, tending and protecting species and collecting and processing NTFP.
Training courses/ study tours on successful models of planting high value timber species.
Model design for enrichment planting high value timber trees.
Collections of qualified seeds/ seedlings of high value timber species for establishing models.
Establishing pilot models including planting, tending and protecting trees
Development of technical handbooks and leaflets.
Development of village regulations on forest protection and forest product benefit sharing through participatory rural appraisal (PRA) approach.
Establishment and maintenance of village forestry development fund.
Dissemination of handbooks, leaflets, regulations and development methods.
Development of training materials.
Training courses/ study tours for local and nearby staff and farmers.