To strengthen the effectiveness and efficiency of forestry research in Southeast Asia through information exchange, capacity development and collaboration, the Asia-Pacific Network for Sustainable Forest Management and Rehabilitation (APFNet) established the Southeast Asian Network of Forestry Research Institutes (SANFRI) in 2018. SANFRI provides support for young forestry researchers in the region through research fellowships, visiting scholar programs, small research grants and other activities to develop studies on forest rehabilitation.
Yunnan Academy of Forestry (YAF) is a member of the SANFRI mechanism and is a scientific research institution focusing on forestry research and promotion of forest-related technologies. In 2018, YAF and APFNet jointly launched the Visiting Scholar Program under SANFRI to support 10 highly capable young researchers from other members of SANFRI to conduct scientific research and academic exchanges in the field of sustainable forest management and rehabilitation in YAF.
Funding for the Visiting Scholar Program will be offered to young researchers from the member institutes of SANFRI to participate in research programs conducted by Yunnan Academy of Forestry for 3 to 6 months. The research programs covers silviculture, forest ecology, sustainable forest management, biological engineering, forest product processing, economic forestry, forest pest and disease management, and desertification control (see Annex 1 for more information on the research projects and areas covered in the program).
Upon the completion of each visit, participants of the Visiting Scholar Program are required to submit two types of reports. First, a General Report to summarize the participant’s experience, lessons learned and any other reflections from the program. Second, an Academic Report related to the technical areas of research during the program. The participants visiting longer than 3 months are expected to publish their Academic reports under YAF. A certificate will be issued upon the review and approval of an expert committee.
Coverage of Funding
Admitted visiting scholars will be offered funding by YAF and APFNet to cover the following costs:
1. Tuition fees;
2. Accommodation on campus;
3. Living allowance of CNY 2,300 per month for food, local transport and other expenses;
4. One round-trip ticket for international travel; and
5. Comprehensive medical insurance in case of hospitalization for serious diseases and accidental injuries.
Eligibility & Application
Basic eligibility requirements for program applicants:
1. Citizenship from an ASEAN member economy;
2. Be recommended by a member institute of SANFRI (see Annex 2, with signature of Applicant’s recommending institute);
3. Be below 45 years of age; and
4. Hold a doctorate degree in forestry or a related field (or a master’s degree with at least 3 years of work experience in forestry or a bachelor degree with at least 5 years of work experience in forestry).
In addition to the above, the following qualifications are ideal:
1. Having a strong background and interest in forestry research, teaching and management; and
2. Adequate command of spoken and written English or Chinese.
Documents required for program application
1. Completed application form (see Annex 2);
3. Passport information page;
4. Diploma(s) in doctorate and all previous academic degrees, or an equivalent degree from an accredited higher education institute in forestry or a related field;
5. Other relevant materials deemed necessary to prove the applicant’s ability, such as certificates in language skills and academic publications.
November 1- December 31, 2018
December 31, 2018
A completed application form and supporting materials must be submitted by December 31, 2018 to be eligible for consideration. Please submit all application materials by:
1. Emailing the scanned copies of the application materials to the SANFRI Visiting Scholar Program Office of YAF to Ms. Zhang Qun at email@example.com; OR
2. Mailing all paper copies of the application materials to the SANFRI Visiting Scholar Program Office of YAF addressed to:
Recipient: Ms. Zhang Qun
Yunnan Academy of Forestry
No.2, Lan’an Road, Panlong District, Kunming,
Yunnan 650201, P.R.China
Note: Application materials will not be returned, regardless of whether the applicant is accepted.
Date of decision:
Decision letters will be emailed to applicants on or before January 31, 2019.
The enrollment date will be determined by the accepted visiting scholar and the Program Office once the applicant receives the acceptance and invitation letters. However, the admitted visiting scholars must complete the program before December 31, 2019.
Contact person : Ms. Chen Yijue or Ms. Wang Jiayi
Telephone : +86-10-66007866-8019
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
2. SANFRI VisitingScholar Program Office of YAF
Contact person :Ms. Zhang Qun or Ms. Sun Rui
Tel : +86-0871-65211539/65151775
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com